Fish Escabeche Ingredients:
- 1 large fish (lapu- lapu, talakitok, tilapia, or apahap), cleaned.
- 1 regular-sized green papaya (juice squeezed out, the washed in salt and
- water solution).
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in water (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp ginger strips
- 3 tbsp sugar
For the Seasoning:
- 1 cup vinegar
How To Cook Fish Escabeche:
- Clean the fish, then rub salt all over it and under the gills.
- Leave for ½ hour, then fry in advance. Drain and place in serving dish.
- To make vinegar sauce, combine salt, sugar, and vinegar, boil the mixture. Thicken with cornstarch, if desired. Blend well, then set aside.
- In a pan, sauté garlic, ginger strips, and onion.
- Add bell pepper and grated papaya, Saute until half cooked.
- While fish is still hot, top with sautéed spices.
- Pour vinegar sauce on top and serve.
Image Credit: angsarap.net