“Kunin mo na lahat, wag lang ang balat ng manok ng mga Pilipino.”
The fast food chain, Jollibee, has been well known for serving the very first Filipino fast foods. Along with favorites such as Jolly Spaghetti and its to die for vanilla ice cream, no Filipino can deny the distinct flavor of Jollibee’s Fried Chicken.
Reminisce to your childhood past and try out this recipe for your very own childhood train ride to deliciousness. Will give you one of the secrets already: there’s breading inside and out! See for yourself in this recipe.
Chicken Joy Ingredients:
- 2 kilos chicken, your choice cuts
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil for deep frying
For the Breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. five spice powder or ngohiong powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fine salt, adjust if necessary
How To Cook Chicken Joy:
- Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rub and press each chicken with the salt and pepper so all the pieces is evenly coated.
- Next, to make the breading, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, five spice powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients using a fork until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer or deep frying pan for about 175°C.
- Coat a piece of chicken with the breading inside and out. Coat underneath the skin as well.
- Do it by pressing each chicken with the breading then shake off excess breading and fry it.
- Depending on the size of your fryer and the size of your chicken, you can put 4 to 5 pieces per batch.
- Just don’t overcrowd the fryer to avoid the fried chicken to become soggy and loose it’s crispiness.
- Cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes in medium fire.
- Put the chicken in a paper towel or a rack to drain the excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite Gravy. Enjoy!
Image Credit: pepper.ph