We all know about puto, and I’m sure most of us love them as standard snacks here in our country. Puto may come in different shapes and sizes (usually depending on the region), but this time we will be adding a new twist. You can even call it an ‘upgrade’ if you wish because we will be making it a whole lot cheesier! We may notice that the standard puto usually has a cheese patch placed on top, but in this recipe we will be incorporating it to the whole cake instead.
Sounds yummy? You bet. Some of you may already tried these, but chances are, you seldom see them sold in shops. So this is our chance to make one for ourselves, and have as much as we want, whenever we want!
Learn about this Puto Cheese recipe today!
Puto Cheese Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
How To Cook Puto Cheese:
- Boil water in the lower part of steamer.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time and using an electric mixer, beat after each addition.
- Add milk and beat until smooth.
- Add water and continue to beat until batter is thin and smooth.
- Add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until well blended.
- Add ¾ of the cheese and stir until combined.
- Fill molds with batter up to ¾ full. Arrange molds in a single layer on steamer rack and place over steamer.
- Lower heat to medium and steam puto for about 8 to 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Turn off heat and top each puto with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese.
- Cover for about 1 minute to allow residual heat to melt cheese.
- Allow puto to slightly cool before removing from molds.
Image Credit: angsarap.net